Monday, December 22, 2008

Rambling Thoughts about Normalcy

Sometimes, I start feeling normal. It lasts for about five days at the most and then, WHAM, something else happens that kicks normalcy right out the window. I think I am starting to see a pattern here. Maybe I am not supposed to feel normal. Maybe, no one feels normal.
Perhaps, if I felt normal, I wouldn't have this crushing need to have a Savior. I heard someone say that Jesus and Christianity are a crutch and the reply to that was,"Yes, but it's pretty nice when you're crippled."

Think of this. God became man because we couldn't understand who He was. So, Jesus, became flesh and showed us the way to live and showed us the way to the Father and then died and rose again to pay for our sins so we could be holy and be able to relate to a holy God based on the great exchange~our sins for His holiness.

This is the God who not only wipes the tears from my eyes but collects them in a bottle. Who else does that? This is the God who has my name engraved in the palm of His hand. This is the God who thinks of me all the time. His thoughts toward me are more than the number of the sand by all the seas in the whole wide world. This is the God who sings over me and holds me close in His arms. This is the God who washes my feet and who hand feeds me wine and bread every day.

And we want to be normal. What is normal about any of this? Who wants to be normal?
We want to be accepted, to feel like we belong. And we are accepted in the Beloved. The love God has for Jesus and the love Jesus has for His Father has made its home in our hearts. We are loved. We are accepted. What a settling, restful truth this is.

Perhaps we should forget about being normal and being accepted. Perhaps we should forget about ourselves completely.
Jesus is the vine. We are the branches.
The Vine is far from normal. The Vine is steadfast, unmovable, compassionate, peaceful, sound in mind, healthy, loving, accepting, and completely abnormal.
I am a branch connected to the Vine and so are you. My life is completely dependent on the health of the vine and THAT VINES DOING FINE.
Forget normalcy. Forget acceptance. Forget feeling like a stranger in a strange land.
Think about the vine.
Read about the vine.
Love the vine.
Stay connected to the vine.
All of the rest is a chasing after the wind~a self-centered existence of insecurity. Good riddance, I say.
We are one with the vine.
We are one with each other.
We are dearly loved, so we love the vine, and we love the other branches, and we are far from normal. Thank God.

No comments: