Monday, January 5, 2009

Jan. 2-4, '08-Hertzler Doings

On Friday, Judy came for lunch. She brought Mikayla along to spend the weekend with us. She brought Sammy Jo and other gifts. We ate our traditional fare; mashed potato soup and homemade bread. It was sleeting when they got here and the sun was shining when they left. Sammy Jo fell into a deep sleep in my arms. I almost did too, but then Judy did the unthinkable, and took her from me because it was time for her to go. I went back into my bedroom then, and slept deeply for several hours. I love my Judy Blue-Eyes and I love my Sammy Jo, and I love the fact that Judy is driving a caddie that looks just like mine.

On Sat., Arnie, Esther, and Marlin Petersheim, and their friend, Emily, stopped in. They had been at a missions conference in Fla. for a week and were on their way home to Pa. (Freeman arrived home shortly after they came. He had been at the Global Missions Conference with Chi Alpha in Cinn. Oh. for most of the week.) They spent the night and came to church with us on Sunday. We had a relaxing time with them. On Sat. eve., we built a fire and set up a 5 gallon metal bucket filled with candle wax on cement blocks with the fire burning all around. After the wax began to boil, Marlin poured in about a quart of water. Flames, 30 feet high, gushed out of the bucket lid hole. It was like a geiser of fire. We were 50 feet away and felt a blast of heat. It was beyond amazing. Do not try this at home without Marlin's help. We roasted hot dogs and marshmellows in the leftover flames.(Philip and Michael were at a going away party for Eric and April and just missed this science experiment.)

We went to church and saw some changes to the stage and sound system. We were able to add 100 chairs to the sanctuary because of those changes. I got to take care of Sammy Jo while Judy sang in the choir.
Some of the highlights from the sermon were as follows:
A break-down in our relationship with God will result in a break-down in our relationship with others.
If you look at someone who's life is a mess, the following will be true about them. They have no expectation of anything else, and they refuse to grow up.
As we raise our level of expectation, God raises His level of delivery.
We are to keep ourselves from being polluted by the world. The emphasis is on 'ourselves'. No one else can do it for you. Do not allow yourself to be polluted by the world.

P.F. Quote: " I expect God to answer every prayer I pray...I expect God to heal marriages and to bring the Prodigal Son home." These words gave strength to my wobbling faith and I am grateful.

Chase and Eric, Michael and Philip's friends, came home for a lunch of chili and pasta and homemade bread. Phil went with Chase and Michael to pick up some calves from The Raineys'. Michael wants to start his own business with the calves. Later, the boys were shooting clay pigeons. They watched a movie and had a great time. We couldn't pick better friends for our boys.

No comments: