Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My County Tis of Thee

Today, I was teaching the 3rd and 4th graders a Patriotic Medley including the songs, "Home on the Range," "This Land is Your Land," and "My Country Tis of Thee." They were tired from Christmas vacation, so I told them they could sit down while we sang. When we finished singing,"My Country Tis of Thee," I turned from the piano. Caleb was standing straight and tall all by himself, with a patriotic gleam of pride in his eye. Fighting tears, I had them all stand while we sang the last verse.
"...Long may our land be bright, with Freedom's Holy light, Protect us by Thy might, Great God our King."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were singing "Fairest Lord Jesus" in the first grade class. I asked what the word 'honor' meant. Chris said that it is when you do something you shouldn't have for someone who did not do something for you. It's when you do something nice for someone who didn't do something nice for you. I liked that.
How much more should we honor someone who gave His life for us? I think they got it.
"...Thee will I cherish....Thee will I honor...Thou my soul's glory, joy, and crown."

No comments: