Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sometimes We Just Sit

Mark 14:32-34~"Then they came to a place which was named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, 'Sit here while I pray.'
And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed.
Then He said to them, 'My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch.'

I wonder how the eight disciples felt when Jesus told them just to sit there for awhile. I wonder if they felt worthless and out of the loop as the favored three followed Him deeper into the garden. They weren't told to watch. They weren't invited to pray. He just said, 'Sit.'

We talk alot about God's will for us. But there is also God's will for God. Jesus had to go through this. It was ordained. And the disciples had to sit and let it happen.

Sometimes we need to just sit. We might feel worthless while we wait.
This night, they sat until they forsook Him.
Several months later, they sat and waited in the upper room.
And after Pentecost, they probably never got to sit again.
Sit when He says sit.
There's no telling what's ahead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Be Still And Know That I Am God. Sit and wait for me means "Meditation". Yes, the enemy has made that a bad word but God says meditate on Him. Those are the times when I quiet my thoughts and get in God's Presence and hear Him, and have so much more intimacy with God.