Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Time Has Come

We signed up with a Christian Care Un-Insurance Company. Our payments are alot less per month and we send our payment to someone else in the organization who is in need. This group is requiring us to be pro-active as far as taking control of our health goes. There are five of us in the family considered to be overweight and we have been put on a strict diet and exercise regime. It's been a bit overwhelming.

We have our own personal trainer via the phone. She calls on Thursday afternoons and checks up on us. We are writing down everything we eat and drink and are also recording what kind and how much aerobic and strength training exercise we accomplish per day. It's been good discipline. We are to start with 30 min. a day of walking or other aerobic activity and work up to 60 min. per day, five times a week. We are also to do strength and core exercises for 20 min. twice a week. I do them every day as well. It's been a bit overwhelming.

The tricky thing is to keep track of everyone's food and exercise. We have nice forms to fill out. Even Susan is writing down everything. I am learning to cook with brown rice again and am limiting our meat intake, fat intake, sugar intake, etc. etc. I made this stuff yesterday. I cooked some brown rice, added some raw carrots, onions, and turnips, a can of salmon and wrapped it in steamed cabbage leaves and put them in the crockpot and covered it with tomato juice. It was downright awful. Really. I had a little bit and told Susan that she could give her's to the dogs when she came to me apologetically, not wanting to hurt my feelings and not wanting to eat the goulash. Phil loved it. Michael didn't mind it. But they are guys. They'll eat anything. It's been a bit overwhelming.

I feel better already. I lost two pounds this week. I've been doing my exercise and eating healthily for the most part. Angela is my personal consultant and she is a great help. She is just a few years older than I am. We are becoming friends in this whole process. She is kind to everyone in the family and builds us up with her words. I believe we are going to do well with this. I just talked with her in the midst of writing this and it's not so overwhelming afterall.

No comments: