Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Book Report~"Rescued"-audio book

by John Bevere

Many times at night, I listen to a scripture CD or some relaxing music. The other night, I decided to put in the audio book, "Rescued", that Betty Gibbs had lent me. This is not a "book" to go to sleep on. I turned it off, and listened to it another day "when I was sick and lay abed." It's perfect to listen to when you want to rest and not sleep and get your exercise heart rate going for over 30 min.

This is a story about a pastor and his church and a cruise that went bad. As people were leaving this world and going into the next, we're given glimpses as to where they were going. (Heaven or hell) We got a peek into the Great Judgment seat of God and saw how things might pan out on that final day.

I doubted my salvation for several hours afterwards which is especially disconcerting when one feels sick enough to die. But then, with relief, I heard that wonderful still small voice saying to me, "You know better than that." Truly, I had to go back to what I knew. "If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, then thou shalt be saved." I think it's in Romans. My righteousness, my right to go to Heaven, is based on Christ work at the cross, and my acceptance of His gift into my life.

But, faith without works, is dead. Faith works by love. It really does matter how I live. I need to treat my family right and not twist the scriptures to get them to say something that will back up any of my distorted thinking or actions. Our works will also be judged by a consuming fire and will be found as gold and silver or as hay and stubble when the smoke dies down.

"Depart from me, I never knew you," are words no one should ever hear. And they are words that God has no desire to say. It's time to know Him and be known of Him, this lover of our souls.

I've read another book by John Bevere called "Honor." It's a great book and when I reread it, I'll write another book report.

1 comment:

Messenger International said...

Hi Annie! So cool that you listened to Rescued (and we agree ...maybe there should be a warning on it about listening before bed!)

As you draw near to God, He will draw near to you.

We'd love for you to check out John & Lisa Bevere's blogs...

www.MessengerInternational.blogspot.com - sharing life-transforming truth

www.PearlAlliance.blogspot.com - fighting human trafficking

Blessings!