Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mar. 20-22, 2009; Hertzler Doings

On Friday, after school, Susan went to Lydia's to spend the night. In the morning, they went with Karen to a water park in Harrisonburg. I picked her up around 8:00 Sat. night. Michael went to Edmonstons for Friday night supper and games. He worked in Loy's vineyard all day Sat. Freeman painted at L'arches with Jason. Phil and I worked around the farm and house by ourselves for most of the day. Starting to feel the empty nest syndrome. I planted some pretty purple pansies inside the hollow tree trunks that Freeman put out in the front flower beds. Also planted some lettuce and spinach seeds in the cold frame Phil built for me.

Philip got back from Florida Sat. eve. and regaled us with stories of fishing escapades, etc. He, Zach, Chad, and Joel had a wonderful time together for a week. They stayed with Zach's relatives for most of the time.

After church, Christi and Gina came back home with us. Freeman grilled some burgers and onions and I had some chili ready with corn tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, cheese, sour cream, etc. We looked at Philip's trip pictures. Tonight we are going to do that crazy wax experiment. Michael got some big blocks of wax and we are going to melt it in a five gallon metal bucket over a fire and bring it to a boil. Then we'll add some cold water to the boiling wax and there will be an explosion about 50 ft. high. It's a little bit scary. I have some hot dogs and marshmellows to roast over the leftover fires that will be scattered hither and yon. It's not as bad as it sounds but you would not believe it if you saw it. It's a life-changing experience and I am not convinced that it is even legal. :)

P.S. The kids went four-wheeling and gator riding and I took a walk to my chapel in the earlier afternoon. Phil read and slept. In the early eve., before the wax explosion, we watched "Get Smart" and ate popcorn and gorged ourselves on homemade Auntie Anne's cinnamon and sugar soft pretzels. You can find the recipe on line. We were too full to eat hot dogs, etc. around the fire, and will save it for supper tomorrow night. Gina will still be with us since Tony and Ruth are away for a day or two. Anne called and is now discussing tuxedo fittings, rehearsal time, etc with Phil for their wedding on May 9th. Dave, her fiance', wants me to do my Aberinginee's mating call sometime during the service. He says I can do anything else I want as long as I do that. I said that I might do it when Mark says, "Kiss the bride." It would be a real shocker. The kids are winding up the evening with 'The Three Stooges.' It's been a really nice day, but I am way too full from all of those pretzels I ate.

No comments: