Monday, March 23, 2009

Lovers of Truth

I have a theory. I believe that any one who is seeking truth with all their hearts will find Him.

11 Thessalonians 2:9-12 says this:
"The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness."

It appears to me that we can receive or reject the love of the truth and once we see the truth, we can choose whether or not to believe it. It is hard to imagine anyone seeing Jesus and deliberately deciding not to believe in Him. But people did it in His day and they do it today.
It also seems that if they don't believe the truth, that they are not permitted to remain in a state between truth and a lie. If they reject the truth, He sends them delusions, so that they believe the lie. It looks as if we are either believing the truth or a lie. We are not given much opportunity to lounge around in middle ground.

For several months now, I've been studying different religions with some others in our church body. As we've studied the beginnings and concepts of these different beliefs, I have tried hard to understand them. But I couldn't seem to get my mind wrapped around the ideas that my spirit was rejecting. I found them complex and confusing. If given a test on the information, I surely would have failed.

This study made me appreciate Jesus more than ever. Although He is deeper than deep and wider than wide, He is also simple. So simple, in fact, that He says that we must become like children to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. He invites us to enter into the relationship that He has with His Father. He says, "I have died for your sins because I am holy enough to be a perfect sacrifice. If you receive what I have done for you, then you can have the same relationship I have with my Father. I will live in you, and you will live in me, and God will love you with the same love with which He loves me."

He says, "Love me with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself." If we do this, we will fulfill all of the other laws because love works no harm to its neighbor.

Believe.
Receive.
Love God.
Love your neighbor.

Perhaps I can share Jesus better with people who are believers in other gods because I have studied a bit about their religions.

But I think I can share Him best because I know Him and I know He loves them so.

If you seek Me, you will find Me, if you seek for Me with all your heart. Deut. 4:29
Draw near to Me, and I will draw near to you. James 4:8

No comments: