Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday Sermon~Mar. 15, 2009

Pastor Rob had us close our eyes and imagine the account of the blind man as he read it from the Bible. (John 9) The theme for this month is "You know already know enough." Sometimes, we think we have to do alot of formal studying before we think we can share Christ. But, like the blind man, if we know who we once were without Christ and who we are now with Christ, we know enough.

PR focused on three interactions that took place in the scripture.
1) Jesus and the blind man:
God is in the street. Jesus was passing by and saw the blind man. He's not just in the temple.
He's not where you expect Him.
He is involved in our EVERYDAY AFFAIRS.

He used EVERDAY MEANS.
Jesus used what was available to heal the man.
He used His own spit and the dirt that He had just walked on and He made some clay and put it on the blind man's eyes.
"Divine Healing Spit."

He told the man to go wash in the Pool of Siloam. People often went to wash in the Pool.
Jesus used an EVERYDAY EVENT.

Everywhere we go, we meet people who need our help. We can relate to them in everyday ways by including them in the things we do. If we ride horse, we can take people horseback riding with us. We can invite them to supper or go shopping with them. We have what it takes to meet someone's need for companionship. It doesn't have to be a big deal.

"If we have Jesus in our common affairs, means, and events, we will experience uncommon results."
To share Jesus with others, we can say simply, as the blind man said, "I was blind and now I see."

2.) Interaction between the blind man and religious leaders:

A. Beware of religiousness. Religion is man's work to get to God. Religiousness is driving people away from church.

B. Keep it simple.

C. Make it personal. What do you say about Him?

3.)Pharisees and the Blind Man Interaction-The Sequel~

The Pharisees wanted the blind man to agree with their assessment that Jesus was a sinner since He healed on the Sabbath. The blind man said, "I don't know much, but I know this. I was blind, and now I see."

I believe that the main point of his sermon was this~ Like the blind man, you may only know one thing. But if you know that one thing, you already know enough to share Christ effectively with others. Keep it simple. Keep it personal. "This is what Jesus has done for me. "

PR took the mike and went around the room and asked the question, "What do you know?" Some followed the blind man's comparitive words, "I was blind, but now I see." We heard words like, "I was lost but now I'm found." "I was weak but now I'm strong." "I was dead but now I'm alive." " I was bitter but now I'm free.'" I was sick but now I'm well." " I was poor but now I'm rich."
Then he went to one of our dear ladies and asked, "What do you know.?" Her face drew a blank and she said, "Not much." That's when he fell on the floor laughing. (Perhaps this is why we have earned the Holy Roller Reputation.) I think several things struck him funny. It kind of blew the whole scenario he had set up in his mind for the altar call. But God took care of that too, and showed the way through a precious soul whose heart was burdened for her family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check Sarah's personal response to PR's sermon on her blogsite attached to mine. (funnysandridgemom)

No comments: