Thursday, March 26, 2009

Trust Fall

I went to Camp Hebron as a summer camper for three years when I was younger and then as a counselor for probably just as many years. We had a ropes course and in the process of working together as a team, we would engage in an activity known as "The Trust Fall." One person would climb up on a stump and the rest of us would gather around behind him with our arms outstretched. The trusting person would fall backwards and we would catch him. It was scary and exhilarating to be the trustee and just as rewarding to be the entrusted.

I was thinking about that today. We as human beings are up a stump as a whole, what with the economy, threats of violence, and warnings of solar flames. I think I am recognizing the potential fulfillment of the frightening things described in the book of Revelation. Could the content of the news no longer be just a shadow of things to come? Could this be the real deal?

I am on the stump. So are you.
I am going to fall backwards, with my arms folded across my chest, my eyes closed, and my body straight;
ready for the fall.
Because Jesus is going to catch me.
Again.
Day after day, year after year, He has caught me.

I trust Him;
because underneath are the everlasting arms.
I know them, and they are strong.

No comments: