Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mar.23-30, 2009-Hertzler Doings

Gina was here overnight, on the 22nd, and helped me clean Monday morning instead of the usual Tuesday morning. She turned 16 this month. I asked her what she wanted for her birthday and she said, "A day at the river." So, Monday afternoon, I loaded up the gator with some firewood, matches, newspaper, chair, water, apple, and a watch. I drove Gina down to the river and left her there. She was so happy to have several hours down by the river all to herself.

On Tuesday, I met Lisa H. at the Daily Grind in Farmville. We enjoy each other's company so very much. She is a treasure deep.

On Friday, I hit the ground running at 6 in the morning. I went to school and helped with the Recitatio rehearsal for Cornerstone Christian Academy. I ran out and got groceries and came back and taught four different groups. I had the select choir practicing in the chapel. They each picked a different song and stood in the corners of the room and sang quite loudly. Dr. Hubler came in to collect some of his things and got out as quickly as he could. We do this sort of singing exercise to help the girls learn to keep their tune even if others are singing off-key around them. This is something we would do as a family on our summer trips. One person would sing and the other would sing the same song slightly off tune. It works.

On Saturday, Susan and I worked hard to catch up with some of her Easter Egg orders. We are wanting to be finished with the business, but orders keep coming in.
In the late afternoon, we went to Helton's to meet with the Kenyan team. We had lasagne, salad, and garlic bread for supper. Johnny and Terry Brynan came around 6:30 and visited with those who had not left for Easter Musical practice. Clint and Lynney had a cake made with the words, "Welcome Home, Johnny and Terry," written with icing. I worked with them on their missions pamphlet for awhile. John and I both spilled our cups of ice water on Jr. and Amy's beautiful rug. Terry found a towel in the dryer, which I thought was pretty smart of her. John and Terry stayed at the Helton's for both Sat. and Sun. nights. Susan and I stopped at Walmart on the way home and picked up some baby formula. Susan noticed that the mother rabbit was no longer producing milk for her eight babies. We went out late that night and fed them. Susan said, "This is fun...you and me...out here together feeding rabbits so late at night..." It was fun. I don't think I will be able to part with these bunnies.

On Sunday, after church, we went to Shoney's with the Potter's and the Brynan's. We had a good time hearing about the men's snake escapades and Terry's spit baptism stories. You had to be there. John and Terry came back to our house and Terry helped us with some Easter egg orders that were to be delivered that morning, but had been forgotten. Susan put the baby bunnies in an ice cream bucket and brought them into the house to feed them. We drank tea and ate homemade bread while Phil and Johnny went hunting arrowheads in the lowgrounds. Johnny enjoyed Phil's arrowhead and Indian artifact display we have set up in the dining room. When he first got here, he said, "Don't rush me. I want to take it all in."
I took Terry down to my cottage for a quick peak and then we raced back to church to watch some of the dress rehearsal for the musical. Phil is playing Pilate and he looks great in Purple. Wow, can he sing!
Some of the Kenyan team met with John and Terry in the hallway and made plans for the next time the team goes to Kenya. Pastor Rob prayed for the team and encouraged John and Terry to "Take the land. Be courageous. Step on the land, and go forward." Clint asked them for a 'Wish List'. " Ask for what you need. You have not, because you ask not."
We left them surrounded by folks who love them.
We came home, ate popcorn, fed bunnies, and watched 'Ocean's Eleven.'

I went to bed with my heart full to overflowing.

On Monday, Phil and I met the Brynan's at school, where they shared during chapel time. The little boys wanted to get their hands on Johnny's arrows. John and Terry passed pictures and told stories and showed the children what Kenyan chairs and milk bottles look like. They left for Pa. after a tour of the school. The school gives their tithes of fund-raisers towards John and Terry's work. Johnny shared with the children that there will be people in heaven who are there because they gave money to help them go to school and learn about Jesus.

Phil stayed for Recitatio practice since he wouldn't be able to attend the program in the evening. It took awhile to work out the kinks, especially since we moved everything to the gym.
We didn't leave until close to 11:30, but Phil adjusted his inner thinking and enjoyed the time with me.
The program in the evening was entitled, "For God and Country." It was Mrs. Jones favorite Recitatio. We shared patriotic songs, folk songs, a Latin song, etc. The children performed their Shurley grammar jingles, nursery rhymes, Paul Revere's Ride, The Village Blacksmith, and other things they have been studying.
The older classes had memorized statements by Our Founding Fathers. One at a time, they stepped forward, and with clarity and convincing speech, they shared the vision and heartbeat of those who had founded America upon godly principles and the Word of God. It was moving. Michael quoted Benjamin Franklin several times. I almost thought he was Mr. Franklin, instead of my son, Michael. I was so proud. He said that he actually gave himself goosebumps. He said that Pastor Alvin had counseled the leaders in the youth group, to tell themselves the following when they need to get up and share a devotional. "I have something to share that the people listening need to hear." Michael said that he told himself that truth as he prepared to share Ben Franklin's timeless words. He said, " I actually felt a burden for the people...that they needed to hear what I had to say."
All of the children got up at the end to sing "Fairest Lord Jesus" and "All in All."
It was a lovely evening. It was a wonderful week.

No comments: