Monday, October 13, 2008

Appomattox Railroad Festival

On Saturday, while Phil and Tom were chopping silage and the boys were busy with their activities, I took Susan to the Appomattox Railroad Festival. We stood across from Country Charm and waited for Lydia, Susan's friend, who we kept us company for part of the day. We watched a parade go by. Our school, Cornerstone Christian Academy, had a float and I think we won 2nd prize. I was too busy waving and yelling out the children's names to see what theme our float had, but the kids were wearing orange life jackets.
After the parade, we visited the stands. The vendors were selling jewelry, books, wooden crafts, pets~you name it. Lydia bought a hamster on impulse, but later went back to get her money back. Susan and Lydia waited in line several times for some gut-wrenching rides, but fortunately, the one ride broke as they were all strapped in and before they had time to lose their breakfast, and the other ride's line was just too long. We had a nice lunch of potato swirly fries and a very expensive greek salad.
There is a part of me that avoids a crowd. I feel claustrophibic and a little afraid. But there is another part of me that looks at a crowd like that and I get the same feeling I do when I see the lights of a large city at night. I hear the eternal voice saying with certainty and longing, " For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whosover believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." And I want to gather all the people into my arms and give them to God so He can love them and they can love Him back.

No comments: