Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pets I remember

My mother is an animal lover.
We always had pets and now I wonder, if they weren't really her pets.
We had a horse named Shiloh who came to a tragic end on the highway after figuring how to open his gate. My brother, Alan, loved that horse and taught me how to ride him with abandonment.
We had a pony named Tony who bucked us off one too many times and I think we gave him away.
We had a donkey who would sometimes run off to the trailer court nearby and give my mother something to swear about, but I don't think she did.
We had goats.
We had a sheep named George. George was bottle fed and when he was a big fat sheep, he would still come baaing at the kitchen door and we'd let him in and we would give him a bottle. ( Can that be an accurate memory?) We finally gave George to someone who had other sheep and before you knew it, George had twins.
We had rabbits and guinea pigs.
We had dogs~Tippy, Puppy, Charcoal...and some others. Their suffering always broke my mother's heart and I have tried to never love another dog again, but I haven't been successful.
We had a cat, named Amber. Only after we all left home did my dad allow cats in the house and then he pampered them like spoiled grandchildren. It was amazing to see. Unbelievable, really.
We had banty roosters. We each had one and mine was named Rusty Brown. He would come running when I'd call his name. He'd be going 100 mph and when he got within 6 inches of my lap, he'd come to a screeching halt and peck around self-consciously in little circles, until I'd pick him up. One time, I brought him into our house and my Grandpa Landis tied a hankerchief around his rearend to make him look ridiculously and to save on clean-up.
We had a parakeet that would climb up our arm and shoulder and kiss us on the mouth.
We had hamsters. Now, my hamster taught me to believe in God. He would get out and I would pray desperately for God to help me find him . I'd put out some lettuce in front of a little hole that we had in our kitchen cabinets and lie in wait with a flashlight. God would answer my prayer and I would capture the little culprit and he would be safe for another night.
We had numerous fish and I had a pet turtle once.
We did not have any snakes or frogs or lizards.
We probably had ducks at one time or another. When my mother was little, she had ducks, and during a wild thunderstorm, she went outside and sat in the rain with them tucked under her skirt so they wouldn't get wet.


I am sure I am missing someone. That's a pretty wild list isn't it?

No comments: