Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's a Cuss word

Last year, I was trying to teach a Christmas song to a younger class, and one little guy pipes up, " I hate this song." I said,"That's it. Go to the office." I know it may sound a bit severe, but it was his last strike. Besides, I didn't want to have his attitude permeate the rest of the class, so I had to remove him.
Later in the day, one of the teacher's asked me what had happened. He said that he heard the same class talking as they went by his room. "Never say 'hate,'" one child said to another. "It's a cuss word."

There's another cuss word besides 'hate' in my book. It's the horrible phrase, " I'm bored." It brings out the near-violent in me. I just do not think it is possible to be bored and if you are, it's your own #!* fault.
I will admit that I have been bored once in my life and it was last month at a meeting in the community. Someone was giving a power point speech after I had already sat through a business meeting and a lovely meal. I thought I was going to go out of my mind. I began to play the alphabet game from the words on the screen. I got part of my mind back but just barely. I watched others play survival games throughout the room. The collective amount of boredom in the meeting that night could have shut down an emergency room for a week.

No comments: