Monday, October 27, 2008

Martyr's Sunday~Oct. 26

Are you aware that every 3 minutes, someone in the world is martyred for their faith in Christ? Sobering, isn't it? This Sunday morning, we had a number of people quietly walk out on stage, one at a time, and read the story of a martyred Christian. When they were finished reading, they walked over to a small podium and blew out a candle. Our pastor challenged us with the thought that these martyred brothers and sisters knew how to die for Christ. Do we know how to LIVE for Him? There were tea lights on mirrors on the steps on the altar, and the church folks responded to his altar call by coming up and lighting one of the candles as a symbol of wanting to be light in the world. It was a very moving service.

I was most challenged by the martyr I represented. As she and other Christians were being burned at the stake, they clapped their hands for joy. Thousands were watching them, crying out encouraging words,"The Lord comfort you!" "The Lord strengthen you!" "The Lord be with you." All the people watching them were amazed. I keep thinking that this is what we need to do when we are watching people suffer for Christ or suffer because life is full of suffering. What would happen if we got close enough to them to say,"The Lord bless you. The Lord comfort you. The Lord give you strength." There are different kinds of fire. Oh, to be able to clap my hands for joy in the fire, while my brothers and sisters watch by my side, shouting words of encouragement to keep me going. I want to do that for you. I need you to do that for me.

"It's gonna be worth it...It's gonna be worth it...It's gonna be worth it..." Stay faithful. Love God. Be strong. Go through the fire. "It's gonna be worth it..."

No comments: