Friday, October 31, 2008

A Psalm of Comfort~Ps.71:20,21

There is a dear lady at our church who is facing down a giant of cancer in her life. I am not close to her but I have friends who are. They are suffering with her as she runs her marathon. I am on the sidelines, cheering them on. Would you pray with me for her as I enter Psalms of Comfort and Strength for her on my blog? Thank you. God knows her name.

When my brother-in-law was killed in Thailand, I went through a dark time of sorrow. There was a verse God gave me that I soaked in daily, like a warm bubble bath. It helped a little. Then, one Sunday morning, our pastor spoke the same verse over the pulpit. I don't think it was even part of his sermon. As he spoke the verse, I physically experienced the warmth and love of God. It seemed like He picked up that bathtub that I had been soaking in and poured it over me, washing from me the rusty chains of sorrow, and giving me the freedom to be comforted. I knew I had been transported from a land where I was experiencing only the agony of sorrow into a land where I could experience the beauty of sorrow. And that's where I live today. This is the verse that I love. These are the words that comforted me.

Psalm 71:20, 21~ "You, who have shown me great and severe troubles,
Shall revive me again,
And bring me up again from the depths of the earth.
You shall increase my greatness,
And comfort me on every side."

Let it be so, for our friend. Lord, bless her with comfort on every side. Give her comforters on every side. Increase her greatness and revive her. Bring her up from the depths of the earth. Let us see your goodness to her in the land of the living. Amen.

No comments: