Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Today's Lilies

My mother started looking for the lilies in her day a long time ago. These are the things that bring joy and the special feeling of being glad that one is alive. Here are the lilies of my day.

Two wonderful things happened to me in school today. Both involve a little boy I'll call Jack. I was teaching them a new song and asked them to sit quietly on their mats with their eyes closed, and listen to the song. At the end of the song, the words, "Alleluia, Praise Jehovah," were swelling with the beautiful music. I looked down at Jack and his hands were lifted and his eyes were closed and he looked holy. He struggles with being 'holy'. He saw me looking at him and I said, "That is exactly what this song makes me want to do." Jack said, "When I got all quiet and patient, that's when I felt God move on me." It reminded me of the verse, "Wait patiently for the Lord and He will strengthen your heart." I like Jack's version; "Get quiet and patient and God will move on you."

A short time later, in the same class, I sang them a Christmas song that I had written for my children when they were small. You could see the lights go on in their little faces when they realized that Michael and Susan were my children. Jack jumped up and hugged me hard and then all the others jumped up and hugged me too. One cried out, "Group Hug!" Another child said, "I want to be your child." Thank you, Michael and Susan, for all the extra love that came my way today, just at the mention of your names.

No comments: