Saturday, October 4, 2008

Storytime

My mother would read to us at least an hour every night. Even after the TV came along and others would be watching, she would read to me. I am so thankful. This is a poem she wrote in the 1950's from a child's perspective.

StoryTime

Our house isn't as big
As the one next door
We need paint on the walls
And rugs on the floor
But I am as rich as rich can be
I have a mother who reads to me.

We have a big yard
But it isn't as neat
As lots of the other lawns
On our street
But I am content as I can be
I have a mother who reads to me.

And we do not have
The best thing in clothes
The shirt that I'm wearing
Used to be Joe's
But I am as proud as I can be
I have a mother who reads to me.

Oh, we do not own
A shiny, new car
With push-button windows
And hydraulic power
But I am happy as I can be
I have a mother who reads to me.

Our trips never take us
Far out-of-the-way
My dad doesn't have his
Vacations with pay
But I have trips across the sea
Since I have a mother who reads to me.~~~

No comments: