Tuesday, October 7, 2008

God's Faithfulness

When I was in 3rd or 4rth grade, we had a school assembly with a missionary from Red Lake being our featured guest. She was an aunt of a classmate of mine. She showed us pictures of the children's home and when it was over, I said, "When I graduate from high school, I am going to work in the children's home in Red Lake."

And I did.

My father and mother drove me up north for 30 some hours to a remote area. If you wanted to go farther north, you would have to fly a plane. As we drove around the streets of town, we saw drunk Indians in the middle of the day. I remember my dad saying,"There comes a time in everyone's life...when they should turn around and ...go home."
I knew no one there but soon made alot of friends with the children's home staff and there was an older woman in the mission with whom I spent much time. She had never been married. On my days off, I would go to her place and we would talk about the deep things of God. She taught me to love Oswald Chambers and the Holy Spirit's work in my life. She taught me about humility and serving those who were unkind because she had done that in her life.
I am not sure how far into my year of service it was, but one day, when we were talking, it came to light that she was the aunt of that boy in my class in 3rd or 4th grade. She had shown the pictures and I had felt the call. It overwhelms me even now, when I think about it. Makes me weep. God has always been with me. And He has always been with my friend, Anne. ( When I got married, she gave me a beautiful painting that she had painted with her own servant hands. )
I know I was an answer to her prayer at that time in her life those many years ago. And she sure was an answer to mine.
Great is Your faithfulness, O Lord. I will tell of Your wonders.





No comments: