Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Emma

On Sept. 19, I came home from school, knowing that Phil was on his way to the airport and Michael was about to have his friends come over for his birthday party. Some of my favorite people were waiting for me on the porch. Gil, Lindsay, Emma, and Adison were keeping the dogs company and looking like they belonged. They were going on a Chi Alpha Retreat and were allowing me the joy of keeping Emma for the weekend. Freeman was going as well to lead worship. Lindsay said,"We are trading our first-borns."
We had a great time with Emma. She is so smart. She loves to color, write her letters, snuggle, watch movies, ride the Gator, and suck her pacifier. Philip could hardly bear it when she would call,"Mommy!" whenever he came around. She would run to Susan or I and avoid him as much as possible. She even covered her eyes and averted her face so she wouldn't have to look at him when he was sitting at the table. He is just not used to this kind of treatment from the female species. I thought she was starting to warm up to him by the time she left. She didn't scream when he kissed her.
When Gil and Lindsay came back, she was sitting on my lap. She stayed there when they came in and was friendly to them, but she just kept sitting on my lap. Her mother had the wisdom to know that this was a good sign. Adison kept watching Emma. Adison is 8 months old I think. They played together nicely on the floor. Emma and I shared a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream . We ate popcorn and jelly beans too. Popcorn and ice cream is what Hertzler's have for Sunday supper.

I miss my little Emma. I miss her warm little body snuggled up to mine in my big lonely bed. I miss the little breathing sounds she makes when she just falls asleep. Emma is not bone of my bone nor flesh of my flesh, but it sure feels like she is.

No comments: