Thursday, September 11, 2008

Through a Glass Darkly

A few months ago I went to the local pet store. The man owner was there and he had a demeanor about him that was not like his normal self. I got the distinct impression that his wife had left him. I began to pray for him as I walked about the shop.

After awhile, he began to tell me that his wife had left him. " I knew it," I thought to myself. He went on to explain that his daughter had a baby and his wife had left him for two weeks to go help her with the baby. He was sad because she would be gone so long and also a little frustrated with having to keep shop all by himself.

Whenever I get impressions, I realize that I see through a glass darkly. I was right about his wife leaving him, but not correct in my assumption that their marriage was in trouble. We have to trust that we can hear from God and at the same time, hold loosely to the interpretation of what we think He said. I was relieved and amused about my error and determined to remember that as long as I am here on this earth, I will see things on the murky side. We can be right and we can be wrong all within the same five minutes.

No comments: