Sunday, September 28, 2008

Phil's Kenya Devotional~#9

Written Sept.16~

Good morning,
Another day closer to our great adventure.
Are you ready? Are your suitcase and carry on bag packed?
In one of His parables, Jesus blessed the servants that were ready and waiting for the master to return, no matter what hour of the day or night.

The fact of the matter is this: when it's time to go, we're out of here. It doesn't matter what we have done to be prepared, time is up. For this trip, we know with reasonable certainty what day we will leave, and what time we will meet to drive to the airport. We have a stated deadline, and have the ability to make it a priority. We can get to a point and say, well, what's done is done and what didn't get done can be done when I get back.
But what about life?
What about our date with eternity?
Jesus indicated those who were ready were pleasing to Him.

What do I need to do today, and continually, in order to have my spiritual "bags" packed, ready to go wherever He calls? How do I prepare for my Master's return, and not be caught without oil in my lamp? What does it mean to keep my lamp burning through the night, and have wisdom to maintain a reserve when others around me are without and are making strong emotional appeals for me to share? In Matt. 25:9 Jeus indicates those who keep enough spiritual resources for themselves are wise, and aren't responsible to meet the needs of the foolish people.

What if God's plan for me doesn't mean "coming back", but moving on to another geographic or vocational location?
Regardless of where we are called, or the duration of service, the daily mission is to be prepared, to be found waiting for the Master, faithful until His return.
God bless you with a great day, Phil.

I am getting really excited about them coming home. I haven't let myself think about it all week, but now the time is getting closer. I wonder if they will drive out to Nairobi today or tomorrow. I have heard that for every time zone crossed, it will take that many days to recover from jetlag. For ex. if they have crossed 7 time zones, they will need a week to get back to a regular schedule. When I got back from Thailand, there was a 12 hour difference. Phil picked me up at 9 that night and I talked for hours because it was my morning. He tried hard to stay awake, knowing that I needed to talk, and not wanting to miss anything. I'm sure we won't hear about everything all at once. Oh~taking melatonin at night is supposed to help with jet lag.
I am going to record Phil's accounting of their adventures on the blog. Oh- I think they are going on a safari today or tomorrow. Fun, Fun. Hope Leon and Phil stay in the vehicle!

No comments: