Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Summer Vacation-going through customs

We've had some interesting experiences while on summer vacation. I have several fond memories that are wrapped around what could have been a very trying experience at the time for my parents.

We went into Mexico for a few minutes to look for a motel. We drove around the block and came back out to re-enter the good ol' U.S. of A. Only it wasn't that easy. The customs office wanted to look through all our stuff. My dad had to get all the suitcases out of the trunk and the storage bin on top of our station wagon. I could tell he wasn't too happy. But guess what he did? He began to auctioneer. Loudly. The Mexican's curious stares did not deter him from having his own good time. I think they thought he was swearing at them.

Another time, we were up in Canada and coming back into the states. My brother had begged my dad to buy some fireworks, but he refused because he knew that we couldn't bring them across the border. When we got to the customs office, they asked us if we had weapons, fireworks, etc. For some reason, this tickled my fireworks brother's funny bone and he snickered. His snicker costs us all kinds of problems. I am sure they searched through our belongings and I remember that my dad had to go into the office. He said that he had to swear on a Bible that he didn't have any fireworks. I wonder now, if he made that up. My fireworks brother is still the Biggest Show on July 4th. I think even the cops come to watch.

No comments: