Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Jerry's Shining Moment

A few years ago, my friend Janet, her husband Jerry, and their three sons, sold all their possessions, bought an RV, and went travelling around the U.S. Read more of their story on her blog that I have now listed. (JanetO) In California, they were in a terrible accident and it was uncertain for awhile if Janet would live. She did. She lost most of her one leg from the knee down and has experienced many surgeries and much pain. She is one of my favorite heroes.

When I was up in Pa. this summer, I saw her. She looked vibrant and alive. She showed me her leg in the church parking lot and I thought it looked amazing. She really only has her bone and some muscles that they took from her back to show for her leg from her knee to her ankle. Janet had been a marathon runner before this all happened.

I asked her if she had started to run again. She said that she was walking and had just started to run for a minute or two at a time, but had not told anyone. She said that she and Jerry were out walking the other night and all of a sudden, she took off running. "It was a shining moment for Jerry," smiled Janet.

You have to know what they have been through to understand the significance of that statement. What was a shining moment for Jerry is also a shining moment for all of us, but no one has really known what all Jerry has been through. He is one of my favorite heroes too.

No comments: