Monday, September 8, 2008

Old Treasures and New

In Matthew 13:52, Jesus says that the teachers of the Law who are also instructed in the Kingdom of Heaven are like householders who bring out of the treasure house both new things and old.
I have never understood this fully. But the other day, when I was reading it, I realized that the Law would be the old treasure and the teaching on the Kingdom of Heaven would be the new treasure. Jesus fulfilled the law. He did not abolish the Law.

I think I experienced this on a practical level in the past two days. I go to an Assembly of God church and the emphasis there is on the Holy Spirit and what He is doing in the Kingdom of Heaven. There is freedom in our worship and an anticipation of seeing what God will do next in our midst. New songs are introduced on a regular basis.

This morning, I went to school where I teach music. The founder and principal of our school is an Anglican minister. They have chapel every morning. Scriptures and prayers are read from a prayer book. Hymns are used instead of worship songs. Liturgy is emphasized along with reverence for God and confessing of one's sins and praying for one's family and government.

I got to thanking God for the boundaries in which He has placed our lives. I am so glad that we get to experience the new treasures from the Kingdom of Heaven by being involved in our Assembly of God Church. And I am so glad that we get to experience the old treasures from the Kingdom of Heaven by attending a school based on Anglican doctrine.

I wouldn't want to do without either one. Both are Treasures, new and old.

No comments: